Reese Witherspoon's mugshot (Atlanta Police Department)
According to police reports, Witherspoon became agitated when Toth was given a field sobriety test. "Mrs. Witherspoon began to hang out the window and say that she did not believe that I was a real police officer," the arresting officer said. "I told Mrs. Witherspoon to sit on her butt and be quiet."
She didn't listen. The "Devil's Knot" star continued her rant, asking, "Do you know my name?" When the officer said he didn't need to know her name, she stated, "You're about to find out who I am ... You are going to be on national news." Witherspoon also argued that she was a "U.S. citizen" and that she was allowed to "stand on American ground." Charming.
Now, it's true that this little outburst seems a bit out of character for one of America's sweethearts; however, she's not alone. History (and by history, we mean the Internet) provides a long and distinguished list of other stars who have lost their cool during run-ins with the law.
Mel Gibson's 2006 mugshot (Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department)
• Lindsay Lohan: When the star was arrested last November for allegedly punching a psychic at a Manhattan nightclub because the woman offered her a free reading, she was surprised. When LiLo emerged from the hot spot and officers cuffed her she snapped, "Are you kidding me?! Are you kidding me?!"
• Orlando Brown: During his DUI arrest, the "That's So Raven" actor had a slightly more nuanced strategy: he claimed he wasn't even driving at all. That's a new one. His manager later claimed that Brown was simply letting a female friend listen to some new music of his and he was only sitting in the driver's seat in order to put in the CD. He wasn't going to drive anywhere. Apparently, the CD player in the car is the only one he has.
• Kevin Hart: The funny man was arrested on suspicion of DUI (a theme seems to be emerging here) just last week and he wasted no time, tweeting, "When the cop asked me to take the sobriety test I said 'WHY WASTE OUR TIME… I'M DRUNK MAN'… #TrueStory."
Randy Travis's mugshot (Splash News)
• Fiona Apple: The songstress wins the award for one of the oddest rants of the bunch. She used her first public statement since her arrest for marijuana possession to accuse the officers of "inappropriate" and "probably illegal" conduct. In a widely distributed video, she goes on for nearly two minutes, threatening to make the police "famous" for their wrongdoings.
So while Reese is obviously on damage control after her, umm, colorful statements, at least she's in good company with some of Tinseltown's elite.
More Celebrity Features on Yahoo!:
- First Photos of Kate Middleton’s Baby Bump (for Real This Time)
- Justin Bieber Tweets Then Deletes Cozy Selena Gomez Photo
- A-List Celebs Go Glam for GLAAD Media Awards (GALLERY)
- Arts & Entertainment
- Crime & Justice
- Reese Witherspoon