Things are getting back to normal for Hugh Jackman after his cancer scare.
The Australian actor made his first red carpet appearance since he announced he had a basal cell carcinoma, which is the most common form of skin cancer, removed from his nose last month. At the David Lynch Foundation gala in Manhattan on Tuesday, the 45-year-old heartthrob appeared in great spirits as he hit the red carpet with his wife, Deborra-Lee Furness, but his nose was clearly still healing from his procedure.
Jackman wouldn't have missed the event though. The charitable star is helping the non-profit raise funds to provide meditation training to 1,000 veterans and first responders in NYC who suffer from post-traumatic stress. He's a proponent of the stress-reducing practice, which he has said changed his life.
It's been nearly two weeks since The "Wolverine" star revealed he had been treated for skin cancer. Posting a selfie of his bandaged nose on Instagram, he shared that his actress wife was the one who encouraged him to see a dermatologist. He also offered some words of advice to others.
"Please don't be foolish like me. Get yourself checked. And USE sunscreen!!!" he wrote.
Jackman has long been an advocate for cancer research. The "X-Men" star recently said that when he asked his mother-in-law, Fay Duncan, who is the president of the Fight Cancer Foundation in Australia, for her blessing when he proposed to Deb, she told him that one of her requirements to get that blessing was for him to support the fight against cancer — and he's been doing so ever since.
- Hugh Jackman
- skin cancer