The picture that shook the world (Twitter)
But when the 70-year-old Geraldo Rivera posted a pic of himself in nothing but a low-slung towel in the early hours of Sunday morning, the Internet exploded with reactions.
The former talk show host explained in an interview Monday just what was to blame:
- He was lonely. After filming his Fox News show "Geraldo at Large" on Saturday night, Rivera was still hyped up from work, he told NYC-based radio station 95.5 WPLJ's "Scott and Todd In the Morning." "I did a great show on black-on-black crime and race relations and the Trayvon Martin fallout and federal charges … and I get home and there's no one to talk to, everyone's asleep," he said. So, what's a guy to do, you know, except think about the selfies you took that day and drink?
- He was thirsty … for tequila. The potent liquor was Rivera's drink of choice that night. "I never do tequila when I'm alone, but I had this new bottle that someone had given me for my birthday. By the second one, my fate was sealed."
- That photo was just so damn good! "I had a couple of drinks ... It was 2:30 and I was like, 'Dammit, I like that picture.' I learned how to use Twitter a couple weeks ago and there I was. What a great idea." Just learned how to use Twitter … famous last words! Rivera captioned the pic, "70 is the new 50."
Rivera removed the revealing snapshot on Sunday after, he said, his daughter texted him to "TAKE THAT THING DOWN RIGHT NOW!" and his employer, Fox News, demanded the same thing. However, his wife of almost 10 years, Erica Levy, 38, received a more positive reaction to the post.
"She just heard from her friend in Chicago who works for Oprah. And the friend in Chicago, Robin, said, 'Whatever you do, honey, you've got to say that you're proud of your husband.'"
How long do you think it'll be before we see Geraldo's next selfie?
More Celebrity Features on Yahoo!:
- Cory Monteith's Sweet Gesture to Lea Michele Days Before Death
- Chris Brown's Lamborghini Matches His Kicks
- Selena Gomez Begins Her 21st Birthday With a Hangover
- Arts & Entertainment
- Geraldo Rivera