Actor Matthew Broderick has been in tons of movies and has never left the Hollywood scene. He's a much more accomplished actor than the world probably realizes. Over the years, something interesting happened -- we've forgotten Matt's '80s brat pack roots and his substantial film credits. But is that really surprising? He's married to Carrie Bradshaw for goodness' sake.
We can probably be fairly certain that when he married Sarah Jessica Parker in 1997, he didn't realize that he might forever live in the shadows of her infamous Manolos. And even though the couple suffered the errant break-up rumor, the two appear to be standing strong.
Although it seems that anytime his name pops up in the press, it's usually associated with his famous wife, there are quite a few interesting things about the actor that we've probably overlooked:
Broderick is a Tony-Award winning Broadway actor who starred in three plays by the time we knew him as Ferris Bueller ("Torch Song Trilogy", Biloxi Blues", and "Brighton Beach Memoirs"). In 2012, he's hitting the stage again in the Broadway play "Nice Work If You Can Get It."
- Prior to hooking up with SJP in the 90s, he was briefly engaged to his Ferris co-star (and "Dirty Dancing" alum) Jennifer Grey in 1987.
- Despite his silver-tinged locks, the original Ferris Bueller still appears to have held fast to his perpetually youthful appearance. Few realize that he was actually 23 years old when he portrayed the infamous teenager in the cult 80s film "Ferris Bueller's Day Off."
- The "War Games" star hopes to learn the keyboard in 2012.
- He's the voice of the adult Simba in the animated hit, "The Lion King."
- Broderick played Sanaa Lathan's love interest in the 2009 film, "Wonderful World."
- He uses pots and pans to "wrap"/disguise Christmas gifts for his kids. (His wife claims that Matthew's effortless ingenuity has made her "bitter.")
- When his son was born in 2002, the baby's name was mistakenly reported by the New York Post to be David Perkins Broderick---later revealed to be James Wilkie.
- In 1987, he was involved in a car crash in which he veered into the wrong lane, killing the driver and passenger in another vehicle. As a result, he originally faced a prison term 5 years---charges that were later reduced to careless driving. He's since made peace with the two women's family members.
Note: This was written by a Yahoo! contributor. Join the Yahoo! Contributor Network here to start publishing your own articles.
- Arts & Entertainment
- Arts & Entertainment/People
- Sarah Jessica Parker