Whitney Houston was the voice of a generation. There was a time when the pop diva represented all that was incredible about the American dream. For an African American child who grew up in gritty post-riot Newark, New Jersey to become one of the most legendary singers in the world is a testament to her talent, dedication and hard work. When Whitney sang "I Want To Dance With Somebody" everyone wanted to dance along with her.
The songbird is gone but will certainly never be forgotten. Houston leaves behind an unparalleled musical legacy. Let's celebrate all that was beautiful and bright about this shining star with a round of WH celebrity trivia.
1. Whitney H. was poised for a comeback with her upcoming feature film "Sparkle." The movie, which is a remake, co-starred "American Idol" alum Jordin Sparks. True or false?
True. The 2012 version of a sparkle is a remake of a 1976 flick starring Irene Cara. The film is loosley based on the story of Diana Ross and The Supremes. Another "Idol" contestant, Jennifer Hudson, also starred in a Supremes-type story with the film "Dreamgirls."
2. The NJ singer-actress proved her onscreen chops in the film "The Bodyguard." She famously held her own with big screen movie star Kevin Costner. The interracial love dynamic was at the center of their doomed romance. True or false?
False. The film was historic as race was barely mentioned as a relationship issue in the movie starring a black woman and white man. The love dynamic was complicated instead by class, with Houston playing a wealthy star and Costner as her "lowly" bodyguard.
"I Will Always Love You"
3. Dolly Parton never forgave Houston for stealing her song, "I Will Always Love You." The buxom country singer was disgruntled that Whit received so much shine for her work. Parton was further irked by J-Hud singing the song in memorial to Whitney at the 2012 Grammy Awards. True or false?
Absolutely, positively false. Parton says that Hudson's performance brought her to tears. The Southern icon further added, "Like everybody else, I am still in shock. But I know that Whitney will live forever in all the great music that she left behind. I will always have a very special piece of her in the song we shared together and had the good fortune to share with the world. Rest in peace, Whitney. Again, we will always love you."
Bobbi Kristina Brown
4. Ms. Houston is survived by one child, Bobbi Kristina, who is 18-years old. Her daughter is named after ex-husband, singer Bobby Brown. True or false?
True. Bobbi Kris is understandably not taking the death of her mother well. She is being comforted by her father and his extended family.
5. Whitney was the first superstar in her family. In fact, her closest loved ones were against the bombshell pursuing a career in entertainment as she started singing in the church. True or false?
False. Whitney did indeed begin her career in the church. However, she is from a very musical family. Whit's mom Cissy Houston is a gospel singer. Her cousin is the legendary Dionne Warwick and her godmother is none other than the queen of soul, Aretha Franklin.
We are lucky to have Whitney's music to remember her by. Our best wishes are with her family.
More from this Contributor
Note: This was written by a Yahoo! contributor. Join the Yahoo! Contributor Network here to start publishing your own articles.
- Whitney Houston
- Cissy Houston