Kate Mara at the "127 Hours" premiere in Los Angeles. - Kevin Winter/Getty Images
Let's break it down:
1. The color: Wearing a summery bright on a fall night (OK, a fall night in Hollywood) is unexpected. Just because Mara's sister Rooney is playing Lisbeth Salander does not necessarily mean she has to wear all-black, too. This is a big moment for Mara, whose star profile will certainly get aboost from this latest Franco movie, and she needed to wear a striking shadethat would make her stand out.
2. The cut: Very 1960s-retro-"Mad Men." The flouncy flared skirt is a refreshing antidote to the Herve Leger banded dresses favored by the Audrina Patridges of the world. It says, "I am tasteful and elegant. Please take me seriously. Also, I'm fun!"
3. The jewelry: With her glam beaded bib necklace, Mara looks like a Betty Draper wannabe (and we mean this in the best way possible).
4. The shoes: Either our eyes are deceiving us or Mara's platform heels appear to be either deep red-carpet red. It doesn't make sense with the turquoise! But yet, it does. Mara makes it work.
5. The hair and makeup: Pink, frosty lips + smudgy, black eyes + high ponytail = demure hotness.
Somewhere in Sweden, we imagine Rooney Mara jealously shaking her fists and wishing she could un-bleach her eyebrows. Or not.
- James Franco
- Kate Mara