Like the legendary pop music romances of Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears, Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson, and Miley Cyrus and Nick Jonas that fell before them, the love affair between Justin Bieber, 18, and Selena Gomez, 21, has reportedly ended. After almost two years of red carpet appearances, extravagant dates mixed with IHOP breakfasts, and sweet comments about each other gushed during interviews, the pop star pair called it off because of their "crazy schedules," a source told E! News on Friday. The exes spent their weekend burying themselves in work — she made an appearance for her Dream Out Loud line at Kmart in White Plains, New York, while he performed a concert in Boston on Saturday and found himself back in a NYC recording studio on Sunday. At first glance, this great love appears to be over. Finished. Forever.
Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez (Clint Brewer/Splash News)
And yet, there are a few signs that the relationship can survive, making everything right with the world again.
- Bieber wouldn't confirm the split. In a radio interview on the show "Open House Party" on Saturday, The Biebs snapped when asked if the breakup story was true. "I don't know what to say," Bieber said. "I don't know if really — if you even know what's going on in my life, so to even assess that doesn't make any sense, because I've not made any comments."
- Gomez showed up to her Dream Out Loud appearance. If you'd just ended things with Bieber, would you be able to go on? Definitely not!
- Bieber was cagey on Twitter. The pint-sized pop star has been known to pour his heart out on Twitter, and this weekend was no different. On Sunday, he wrote: "regardless of what happens i see all of the tweets and all the love you guys are sending me. thank u. love u too #SUNDAYFUNDAY #MTVEMAs."
- The two spent time together after their reported split! A source tells Life & Style that they reunited at Gomez's NYC hotel on Sunday. "I saw Selena go into the hotel around 5:40 p.m. and not even three hours later, Justin went in," the source said. "I saw him leave around 11 p.m."
- They're young. Haven't you ever heard Taylor Swift's song "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together"?
More celebrity features on Yahoo!:
- Was the Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez split brewing for months?
- Photos from 'The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn — Part 2'
- 2012 MTV European Music Awards (photos)
- Arts & Entertainment
- Selena Gomez
- Justin Bieber
- Justin Timberlake
- Nick Lachey
- Nick Jonas